Greek and Roman
Set by Maya Davis
1. Which Greek colony in Southern Italy provides modern words related to enjoyment of a luxurious lifestyle?
2. In Roman public baths, what was the purpose of the Apodyterium?
3. To which god was the Oracle at Delphi dedicated?
4. Alexander the Great’s horse was called Bucephalus. What does this name mean?
5. In which Greek play is the title character a Scrooge-like character called Knemon?
6. Which novel, published in 2018, retells Homer’s Iliad from the point of view of a minor character in that epic?
7. Who was executed in 399 BC for corrupting the young and challenging accepted religious beliefs?
8. On which Greek island did Hippocrates found his medical school?
9. In what direction were chariots driven in a Roman chariot-race?
10. What is the modern name of the city in Italy, founded by Greeks, whose name, rather boringly, means ‘New City’ in Greek?
11. In Greek and Roman mythology, who was picking flowers in a meadow in Sicily when she was carried off by the god of the Underworld?
12. What modern-sounding theory of the nature of the universe was proposed by the Greek philosophers Leucippus and Democritus?
13. The modern A429 mainly follows the path of which Roman road?
14. The Greek word for a Pan-pipe and the term for the organ which enables songbirds to sing are both named after the same nymph, changed into a reed by her father to avoid being raped by Pan. What was her name?
15. The name of the Roman general married to Julius Caesar’s aunt provides the French nickname of the inhabitants of which French city?
16. Who was the son of Laius and Jocasta?
17. Which member of a Roman legion would carry a vine-staff as his badge of office?
18. Ben Jonson’s poetic satires London and The Vanity of Human Wishes are based on works by which Roman author?
19. The statue known as the Colossus of Rhodes was one of the seven ancient wonders of the world. Whom did it represent?
20. For what purpose would a Greek use a krater/crater?
Here's where you can enter in text. Feel free to edit, move, delete or add a different page element.