A Shakespeare based quiz
Set by Maya Davis
1. Which play features two sets of twins called Antipholus
2. ‘Enter Rumour, painted full of tongues.’ To which play does Rumour deliver the prologue?
3. In The Merchant of Venice, what name does Portia adopt when she speaks in court in Antonio’s
4. In which play is a Latin lesson used to create a comic scene?
5. The signature tune to The Apprentice was taken from a scene in the ballet based on which Shakespeare
6. Which person, mentioned by Shakespeare in a dedication, has been identified variously as the 3rd Earl of Pembroke, the 3rd Earl of
Southampton or William Holme, an associate of Shakespeare’s publisher?
7. Which character delivers the ‘Seven Ages of Man’ speech, and in which play?
8. Geoffrey of Monmouth’s History of the Kings of Britain (also called Deeds of the Britons) seems to have been Shakespeare’s source for two
plays. One is King Lear. What is the other?
9. In Julius Caesar, which character delivers the speech which starts ‘Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your
10. Which work by Berlioz is based on Much Ado about Nothing?
11. In Twelfth Night, who is the steward in Olivia’s house?
12. Apart from Timon of Athens, one other Shakespeare play is set primarily in or around Athens. Which
13. In the opening scene of Macbeth, one of the witches says ‘Paddock calls’. In Shakespeare’s time, what sort of creature was
referred to as ‘Paddock’?
14. ‘Prince of Tyre’ is the description of the title character of a Shakespeare play and appears in the full title of that play. What is
this character’s name?
15. In what professional capacity is Shakespeare’s father linked to the mother of crime and thriller writer Peter James?
16. The speech in which England is described as ‘this sceptred isle’ is part of the deathbed scene of a character in King Richard II. Which
character delivers this speech?
17. In Hamlet, what is the name of Ophelia’s brother?
18. In which war is Troilus and Cressida set?
19. And who wrote the English poem (based mainly on a French source) which is generally believed to be Shakespeare’s main source for this
20. In Henry IV, what was the name of the tavern in Eastcheap frequented by Falstaff, Prince Hal and their
21. ‘Upstart Crow’ is an insult levelled at Shakespeare in a posthumous pamphlet by Robert Greene. In Ben Elton’s Upstart Crow, David
Mitchell plays Shakespeare – but who plays Greene?
22. In The Taming of the Shrew, what is the name of Katharina’s milder-mannered sister?
23. Which Terry Pratchett novel mixes a pastiche of theatre in Shakespeare’s time and a pastiche of
24. Dogberry in All’s Well That Ends Well and Dull in Love’s Labour’s Lost both have the same profession. What is
25. In Henry V, what provocative present does the King of France send to Henry?
26. Which 20th century writer’s play shares its title with the play performed before Claudius and Gertrude in
27. Which sonnet provides the title for the first in a series of books by H. E. Bates about an unconventional
28. ‘A plague on both your houses’ is said by a character who lies dying. To what ‘houses’ does the character refer?
29. Richard II’s was called Barbary, and Richard III’s was called Surrey. What are we talking about?
30. Which Shakespearean character is the rightful Duke of Milan, deposed by his