Set by Mel Kinsey
1. What 5-letter name is common to a 30,000 BCE oolite figurine excavated in lower Austria, Sarah Baartman, and paintings by Titian, Giorgione, and Botticello?
2. Which painting by Hokusai, with optical play wherein foam from the ocean doubles up as snow falling on Mount Fuji, was a break in the
ukiyo-e tradition as it changed the subjects from courtesans and actors to quotidian life?
3. Two famous architects sharing the same first name designed two versions of what, inaugurated in 1959 and 1997 in New York City and Bilbao respectively?
4. Which Greek god of marriage lends his name to a genre of lyric poetry sung during the procession of the bride to the groom's house? He shares his name (from a different origin) with a mucous membrane that some cultures dictate a bride should possess before her wedding night.
5. Which legendary Persian hero, the son of Zal and Rudaba, was said to have killed his son Sohrab in a war between Iran and Turan?
6. What 2-word Latin name was given to the ‘instruments of Passion’ (items that wounded or otherwise offended Christ), such as the crown of thorns, spear, and the Cross of Christ?
7. Which English philosopher wrote A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, considered the first great feminist treatise? She was the mother of Mary Shelley.
8. The name of which Mesopotamian artefact, featuring three rows of people and animals, is misleading since archaeologists cannot tell for sure that its use was akin to that of a flag taken into war?
9. Which British artist has created Butterfly Rainbow, featuring butterfly wings, one of his best- known motifs, to show support for the NHS during the COVID-19 crisis?
10. If Egyptian kings Khufu and Khafre built two of the three primary ones, who built the third?
11. Where in California was Ai Weiwei’s “@Large”, with Lego representations of 175 political prisoners, installed?
12. Gary Garrels, the longtime senior curator of painting and sculpture at which museum had to resign in July 2020 owing to his comments on ‘reverse discrimination’ in the wake of the George Floyd protests in the USA?
13. Which primordial couple in mythology, the sky father and earth mother, were joined together in loving embrace until pushed apart by their son in an effort to see light?
14. Ancient Hindu scriptures are divided into shruti (revealed to seers) and what other category, denoting the man-made? Examples include the epics and that given by Manu.
15. Born Maria Antonia Montoya, which 20th-century Native potter from the Puebla in Mexico gained worldwide recognition, striving to improve her community and popularise Native ceramics as fine art?
16. Which poet and philosopher’s writings directly led to the establishment of the Sufi Order, often referred to as the ‘Whirling Dervishes’?
17. The five Ks donned by Khalsa Sikhs include Kesh (uncut hair) and what wooden comb, symbolising cleanliness?
18. In the mythology of which Native American tribe (today, the largest of the 567 federally recognised tribes in the USA) are the first humans (the hunter) and , who produced corn and beans from her body?
19. In 2014, the British Museum lent the figure of a river-god, possibly , to the State Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg. This was the first instance of the controversial lending of part of which collection?
20. The Codex Mendoza, containing information about the Aztecs, went to the French and thence to England. It ultimately joined four other Mesoamerican codices in which famous university library? One of the codices is named after the library itself.
21. is a creature believed to command all life on which African river? Floods and workers’ deaths during the Kariba Dam Project (1956-1977) were attributed by tribal elders to displeasure.
22. Renowned as the greatest achievement of Sudano-Sahelian architecture, and one of Africa’s wonders, in which city is the unique Great Mosque situated in Mali?
23. What special book is used to tell the story of the Exodus around the seder table each year at Passover?
24. According to an apocryphal story, when Pablo Picasso and Dora Maar admired her brass bracelet covered in fur, she bought a saucer and a spoon, covered them in gazelle fur, and titled the work Object. Which artist?
25. The four elemental tools in modern occultism are the wand, pentacle, cup of chalice, and what ceremonial blade with a black handle?